THE BENT FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1067898
Date first listed:
12-Jul-1985
Statutory Address:
THE BENT FARMHOUSE, BENT LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE BENT FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067898 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 05:58:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE BENT FARMHOUSE, BENT LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Trafford (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Warburton
National Grid Reference:
SJ 70411 89163

Details

SJ 78 NW WARBURTON BENT LANE (west side)

6/176 The Bent - Farmhouse

G.V. II

Farmhouse. "Built R.D. A.D:1600 R.E.E.W Restored A.D:1880" on tie beam (Richard Drinkwater and Roland Eyles Egerton- Warburton). Restoration by John Douglas. Stone plinth; brick front with terracotta dressings and restored timber framed gables; box framed rear with brick nogging; clay tile roof. Heavy restoration of a large 3-unit baffle-entry plan with 2 storeys, projecting crosswing (formerly kitchen and parlour) to right of house-part and utility rooms to the right of that. 5 bays to left of crosswing and 2 to right. Stone plinth, continuous hoodmould, lozenge-shaped decorative brickwork to first floor and overhanging eaves. Five 2-light, one 3-light and two 4-light windows to ground floor;one 1-light, three 3-light and one 4-light to first. All have ovolo-moulded terracotta mullions and cast iron casements with glazing bars. Porch (C19) in bay 3, gables over bay 3 and 4, and 5 with enriched bressumers and finials. 3 structural bays of box framing at rear and remnants in crosswing are well preserved and include a blocked 3-light ovolo-moulded timber mullion window and diagonal braces. Projecting stone bay with chamfered mullion windows to house-part. 3 decorative brick chimney stacks. Interior, has C17 ovolo moulded beams throughout ground floor, including a bressumer beam over an inglenook fire with former fire-window. Jacobean (and maybe some older) oak panelling in bay-window. A good early example with interesting Douglas restoration.

Listing NGR: SJ7041189163

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
212937
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].