Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1067903

Date first listed: 05-Mar-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Jul-1985

Statutory Address: SAWMILL


Ordnance survey map of SAWMILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067903 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 00:10:44.


Statutory Address: SAWMILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Trafford (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Dunham Massey

National Grid Reference: SJ 73457 87247


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



6/91 Sawmill (formerly listed as High Towncorn Mill) 5.3.59

G.V. II*

Watermill, originally a cornmill then a sawmill. Possibly 1616 for "old" Sir George Booth, but definitely pre 1697. English garden wall bond brickwork with stone dressings and graduated stone slate roof. 2 storeys plus attic. Stone plinth, stone quoins and coped gables with kneelers. South elevation has a semi-circular stone arched waterwheel housing flanked on either side by stone buttresses; 3 2- light and 3 3-light double-chamfered stone mullion windows (some later) with leaded casements and 2 gables (although the main roof runs longitudinally). Each end elevation has an oeil-de-boeuf within the gable which was added in 1756 when some other alterations were made. The north side has a small projecting wing with stone dressed oeil-de-boeuf and a shaped brick chimney shaft to the carpenter's shop. Door openings occur in each elevation. The other window openings appear to be of a later date. Each storey is divided into 2 rooms by a half-timbered partition. On the ground floor is the overshot waterwheel (reconstructed) in one room and a lathe in the other. On the first floor (which because of the crossfall has access at ground level) is the carpenter's shop in one room and frame saw, wood-boring machine and circular saw in the other. The attic is reached by a central flight of steps and formerly housed the granary. A rare and well preserved example of a C17 watermill which was restored and much of the machinery re-constructed in c.1980, resulting in a fine working example.

Listing NGR: SJ7345787247


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 212850

Legacy System: LBS


Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 18 Greater Manchester,

End of official listing