CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1067949
Date first listed:
12-Jul-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067949 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 22:32:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Trafford (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 76744 88196

Details

SJ 7688 SE ALTRINCHAM CHURCH STREET (west side)

10/2 Church of Saint - George - II

Church. Base of tower possibly 1799, tower and spire 1874, chancel 1886 and considerable re-building completed about 1897. Nave by Paley and Austin. Red brick, terracotta enrichments, slate spire and clay tile roofs. Nave, aisles,west tower and porch; polygonal chancel with vestry and side-chapel. 6-bay clerestory and aisles with stone bands, flat buttresses and coupled semi-circular headed windows with hoodmoulds (exept for north which re-uses the stained glass, semi-circular headed windows and stone tracery of the former church). 3-stage tower with spire, recessed arched openings to belfry, blind arcade above and corbelled brick eaves. Chancel has tall semi-circular headed lights with terracotta enrichments, a 3-light east window with a rose window below a decorated gable. Interior: moulded brick semi-circular arched nave arcade on circular columns with moulded capitals and bases. The aisles continue to either side of the tower which is carried on massive brick piers. King and queen-post roof trusses with diagonally braced purlins. Stained glass.

Listing NGR: SJ7674488196

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
212754
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].