CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1067971
Date first listed:
27-Nov-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, STOCKPORT ROAD
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, TOWN LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067971 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2019 at 01:31:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, STOCKPORT ROAD
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, TOWN LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Tameside (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 92640 95055

Details

DENTON TOWN LANE SJ 99 NW (north side)

4/53 Church of 27/11/67 St. Lawrence

G.V. II*

Church. Nave c.1530, chancel and transepts 1872 by J. Medland and Henry Taylor. Timber-framed structure which was weather-boarded on the south and rendered over on the north side in 1862 but painted to retain its character. Graduated stone slate roof. Cruxiform plan with west gallery and bellcote. 4-bay nave has stone plinth, coved eaves and 3 or 5-light mullioned windows in each bay. Central west door with blocked window above. The chancel, under a continuous roof, and the transepts, under parallel roofs, continue in the same style but with more elaboration to the east end which has foiled openings, rosettes on the barge boards and a 5-light east window. The bellcote has a pyramidal roof and has been restored to reveal the decorative framing. Interior: 6 structural bays of the timber-framed structure remain. The shaped posts and curved braces support tie-beam roof trusses which have inclined struts, purlins with cusped bracing and a ceiling at collar level. Between the posts the framing is concealed by plaster or removed completely where transepts and chancel adjoin. West gallery supported on C19 cast-iron columns. Early C18 baluster font. Pews 1859. Part of former wardens pew of C17 and C18 preserved beneath gallery. Other carved timberwork of C19 and C20 dates. The windows incorporate fragmentary early C16 glass from former east window. Edward Holland memorial, 1655 - oval inscription plate between short columns supporting scrolls and the coat of arms. Dame Mary Asheton memorial wall tablet, 1721. The building is an important early survival of a timber-framed church. J. Booker, A History of the ancient chapel of Denton.

Listing NGR: SJ9264095055

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
212709
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Booker, J , A History of the Ancient Chapel of Denton

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15244/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Lomas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].