This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ASHTON UNDER LYNE TOWN HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ASHTON UNDER LYNE TOWN HALL

List entry Number: 1067995

Location

ASHTON UNDER LYNE TOWN HALL, MARKET PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Tameside

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Jul-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 212666

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 99 NW 4/18 12/01/67

ASHTON-UNDER-LYNE MARKET PLACE (north side)

Ashton-under-Lyne Town Hall (formerly listed as Town Hall)

G.V. II

Town Hall. 1840, extended in 1878. By Young and Lee. Ashlar. 7 x 8 bays with a 5-bay extension. All of 2 storeys raised above a basement storey. Neo-classical. 5-bay centre has attached giant columns supporting a dentilled entablature, and a balustered parapet which conceals the roof and has articulating dies and a datestone. Rusticated ground floor with round-arched openings. Eared architraves to first floor windows. Extension treated similarly but with giant pilasters. Interior: entrance hall with Ionic columns. The grand imperial staircase gives access to the civic hall on the first floor. It has cast-iron balusters and a rooflight above a coved soffit and frieze with early C18-style plasterwork. The civic hall has a concaved coffered ceiling. The extension houses the Council Chamber on the first floor. Window and door openings are below round arches with classical enrichment (which includes palm leaf motifs). Cross-beamed ceiling supported on pilasters. Pitch Pine doors. The C20 civic offices which adjoin are not included in this entry.

Listing NGR: SJ9388799233

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ9388799233

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067995 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 12:21:07.

End of official listing