CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1068013
Date first listed:
27-Jun-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PAUL, HUDDERSFIELD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068013 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 22:42:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PAUL, HUDDERSFIELD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Tameside (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 97168 98716

Details

SJ 99 NE STALYBRIDGE HUDDRSFIELD ROAD (south side)

4/150 Church of 27.6.84 St. Paul

G.V. II

Church. 1839 by Tattersall with clerestory and south transept 1872 by Brakespear. Hammer-dressed stone with ashlar dressings and fish-scale slate roof. Nave and chancel with transepts, aisles, clerestory and west tower. Aisle: 4 bays, paired lancets with hoodmoulds between slender weathered and gableted buttresses and coped parapet. Clerestory: segmental-triangle windows. The transepts have triple-lancet windows, angled corner buttresses with nook- shafts and corner pinnacles. The chancel has canted corners and a 4-light east window. 3-stage castellated tower with angled buttresses, single-storey north and south abutments, a western roll-moulded, pointed arch door beneath a 2-light window, clock faces in the second stage, 2 lancets to the belfry and corner pinnacles. Interior: nave arcades of chamfered pointed arches under hoodmoulds on collared octagonal piers. Quadripartite vault. Galleries to west end and north aisle. Chamfered roll-moulded chancel arch on compound piers. Pierced andtraceried wooden screens. Hammer-beam chancel roof. Stained glass east window by Wailes.

Listing NGR: SJ9716898716

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
212613
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Feb 2006
Reference: IOE01/15273/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Lomas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].