GATEPIERS, RAILINGS, STEPS AND WALLS TO GRAVEYARD OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1068029
Date first listed:
20-Apr-1977
Statutory Address:
GATEPIERS, RAILINGS, STEPS AND WALLS TO GRAVEYARD OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, WAR HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of GATEPIERS, RAILINGS, STEPS AND WALLS TO GRAVEYARD OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068029 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 01:34:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
GATEPIERS, RAILINGS, STEPS AND WALLS TO GRAVEYARD OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, WAR HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Tameside (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 99422 95257

Details

SJ 99 NE LONGDENDALE WAR HILL

4/88 Gatepiers, railings, steps and walls to graveyard of St. Michael and 20.4.77 All Angels

G.V. II

Gatepiers, railings, steps and graveyard walls. Gatepiers: probably 1815: 2 pairs which are rusticated ashlar, have bases and cornices, one of which is terminated in acorn finials. The iron railings which adjoin the west gateposts are terminated in a similar pier. The gates are in decorative ironwork. The stone steps to the west have a right-angled flight: the parapet walls are in squared rubble and 2 of the coping stones bear the dates 1857 and 1734. The walls of the graveyard are of squared rubble and hammer- dressed stone and date largely form the C18. Datestones incorporated in the wall include TBM 1769, 1804, 1815 and 1823. The round-topped coping stones are numbered 1-33 consecutively on the west and east sides and A-Z on the north defining the graveyard plot layout. A weathered buttress supports the wall (which is a retaining wall in parts) at the south-west.

Listing NGR: SJ9942295257

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
212548
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/01373/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Frank Bennett. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].