Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST THOMAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068071.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Apr-2020 at 16:00:11.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Oldham (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 95286 04454


The enry for:- SD 90 SE LEES WEST STREET (north side) 8/47 Church of St Thomas II The grade shall be amended to read :- Grade II*


SD 90 SE LEES WEST STREET (north side) 8/47 Church of 22/8/67 St. Thomas - II Church. 1848. By E.H. Shellard for the Church Commissioners with tower added in 1855, organ chamber added 1885 and minor improvements 1889. Hammer-dressed stone with slate roof. Nave, aisles, west tower and chancel flanked by vestry and organ chamber. Perpendicular Gothic revival. 6- bay nave and 2-bay chancel with continuous sill band and castellated parapet. Each bay has a weathered buttress topped by a crocketed pinnacle and a 2-light window below hoodmould with carved stops. Porch in bay 2 bears date 1848 above arched door. 4-light east window. 4-stage castellated west tower with 4-centred arch door, 4-light west window, clock faces, 3-light belfry openings and diagonal buttresses rising into crocketed pinnacles. Interior: double-chamfered nave arcade with octagonal columns. Hammer-beam roof trusses spring from carved head corbels. No clerestory but dormer windows. West gallery with blind-arcaded parapet. Poppyhead pews, carved pulpit, dado panelling, and canopied choir stalls by Shaw of Uppermill. Carved stone reredos and sanctuary panelling. Stained glass, much by Capronnier, 1874-98.

Listing NGR: SD9528604454


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/02812/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pamela Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].