CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1068083
Date first listed:
06-Feb-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068083 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2019 at 06:51:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Tameside (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 95824 95346

Details

HYDE HIGH STREET SJ 99 NE (north side) Godley 4/23 Church of St. John the Baptist

- II

Church. 1849-50 for the Church Commissioners by E.H. Shelland, tower 1878. Snecked stone with graduated slate roof. Nave, aisles, chancel and west tower. 4-bay aisles and 2-bay chancel. The aisles are roofed separately and each bay has a weathered buttress, a stone plinth and a 2-light window with bar tracery. Porch in bay 1. Diagonal buttresses to chancel and 3-light east window. The 3-stage tower has an octagonal corner stair turret of a slightly later date which is topped by a small spire. Stone plinth, diagonal buttresses, lancet openings, clock, 2-light belfry openings and castellated parapet with gargoyles. Interior: octagonal nave arcade columns with moulded bases and capitals. Double-chamfered chancel arch. Arch-braced roof trusses, wagon roof to chancel. Royal coat of arms above west door.

Listing NGR: SJ9582495346

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
212479
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15244/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Lomas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].