GROTTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1068157
Date first listed:
03-Jul-1986
Statutory Address:
GROTTON HALL, PLATTING ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROTTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068157 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 01:07:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
GROTTON HALL, PLATTING ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Oldham (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Saddleworth
National Grid Reference:
SD 97199 04854

Details

SADDLEWORTH PLATTING ROAD SD 90 SE (west side) 5/230 Grotton Hall 19/6/67 G.V. II* House. "IBM 1686" (Isaac and Mary Buckley) on porch lintel, "IBK 1725" "EB1844" and "1984" on datestones. Much of what remains is the result of Edmond Buckley's 1844 restoration. Watershot hammer-dressed stone with graduated stone slate roof. 5-bay 2-storey house including bay 1 extension and a rear lean-to extension of 1984. Projecting plinth. Porch in bay 4 with ovolo-moulded surround and obtuse angle dated lintel; raked castellations and ball finials. 2, 4 and 4- light windows to each floor all with double-chamfered cavetto-moulded mullions and hoodmoulds with upturned stops. All the ground floor lights are arched and there is an additional 1-light window above the porch. Coped gables with ball finials and stone-dressed circular windows to bays 1, 3 and 5. The side and rear have similar window and gable features as well as a 3-light pointed arch mullion and transom stair window with Gothic-style tracery. Interior: south-east room has panelling and a chimney-piece with carved faces, swags and side columns. Principal room retains ovolo-moulded ceiling beams with stepped stops including a bressummer beam over an inglenook fireplace which has had a later stone hearth inserted with obtuse- angled lintel and recessed spandrels. Bulletin of the Saddleworth Historical Society Vol.15, No.1, 1985.

Listing NGR: SD9719904854

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
212251
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Bulletin of the Saddleworth Historical Society' in Number 1, , Vol. 15, (1985)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].