CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1068245
Date first listed:
19-Jun-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, FOUNTAINS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068245 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 09:59:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, FOUNTAINS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 35072 93424

Details

SJ 3593 FOUNTAINS ROAD L4

16/467 Church of St. - John Evangelist G.V. II

Catholic Church. 1885. J. and B. Sinnott. Rock faced stone with ashlar bands and dressings, slate roof. Single vessel nave and chancel, aisles under lean-to roofs, transepts and chapels; N chapel added c.1920. Nave has 5-light west window with Geometrical tracery over canted baptistry with canted projecting centre. 3-light aisle windows and 2-light clerestory windows, with flat buttresses between pairs of windows. South west porch has pointed entrance and stepped gable. Low south transept with 5-light window and taller north transept S organ loft. East end has 7-light east window, flanking chapels under lean-to roofs with rose windows. Interior 4-bay nave arcade on round columns, waggon roof and west gallery. 2-bay chancel arcade and clustered columns, wrought-iron reredos.

Listing NGR: SJ3507293424

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
214112
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16411/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ronald May. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].