THE LYCEUM

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1068383

Date first listed: 28-Jun-1952

Statutory Address: THE LYCEUM, BOLD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE LYCEUM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068383 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 01:02:34.

Location

Statutory Address: THE LYCEUM, BOLD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 34900 90186

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 3490 SE 53/157 28.6.52

BOLD STREET (north-east side) L1 The Lyceum

G.V. II*

Club House. 1802. Thomas Harrison of Chester, built to house the first gentlemen's subscription library in England (1758). Ashlar, Classical, formerly one storey, the roof raised for an additional storey later. Continuous base, frieze, cornice and parapet. Slight forward break in centre with Ionic columns and pediment forming a recessed portico containing 4 entrance doors with architraves, cornices and consoles, and 6-panel doors. At each side of the portico is a 3-light window divided by Doric columns supporting modillion cornice in plain reveals with segmental heads forming blind lunette heads. Facade facing Church Street has a forward central break; Ionic columns and panelled parapet over. 5 windows, the outside pair with architraves, cornice and consoles; above the 3 centre windows between columns are sculptured plagues. Windows (1984) boarded and portico screened. Interior has large News Room with contemporary decorations, and a circular library with gallery on reeded Doric columns with iron balustrade and saucer dome with decorative plaster work. M. Binney, 'Club Together to Save the Lyceum,' Country Life, 24 August 1978.

Listing NGR: SJ3490090186

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 213770

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 24 August, (1978)

End of official listing