CHURCH OF ST BRIDGET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1068396

Date first listed: 28-Jun-1952

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BRIDGET, BAGOT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BRIDGET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068396 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 00:06:27.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BRIDGET, BAGOT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 37982 89273

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 38 NE BAGOT STREET L15

7/106 Church of Saint Bridget

28.6.52 G.V. II*

Church. 1872. E. A. Heffer. Common brick with red brick and stone dressings, red and blue brick banding and slate roof. 9-bay nave with lean-to aisles, round chancel apse, north west tower and narthex. Windows are round-headed with recessed reveals. Nave and aisles have windows between flat buttresses with corbel tables above; bracketed eaves. 5-stage tower has narrow lights. Cornice over lowest stage and clasping pilasters above. Top stage has round-headed, louvred bell openings and sill courses, cornice and pyramidal roof. West front has narthex with parapet, gabled round-headed entrance with flanking narrow lights; gable apex has roundel with bust of Christ. 3 windows and top roundel over. Apse has sill band and 2 windows. Gates to narthex and inner tripartite window with flat pilasters and pedimental panel over. Interior: Stucco. Arcades on round scagliola columns with alternate oak and acanthus capitals. Clerestory windows in applied arcade. Richly ornamented coffered ceiling. Aisles have coffered half-tunnel vaults. Western bay of nave has choir stalls and organ to north aisle. Apse has bench all round, cornice and pilasters between windows. Wooden altar set in middle of marble floor. Mosaic reredos of Last Supper by Salviati. Pulpit and altar of different coloured marble. A dignified and impressive evocation of an Italianate basilica.

Listing NGR: SJ3798289273

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 213710

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing