CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1068414
Date first listed:
28-Jun-1952
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS, ALLERTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068414 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 01:09:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS, ALLERTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 39984 87473

Details

SJ 3987 ALLERTON ROAD L18

39/54 Church of All 28.6.52 Hallows

G.V. I

Church. 1872-6. G.E.Grayson. For J. Bibby in memory of his wife. Stone with slate roofs. Nave with aisles under lean-to roofs, transepts, west tower (ritual west is actual north), chancel with vestry to north and organ loft to south under lean-to roofs. South-east mausoleum to the Bibby family, Tower of Somerset type, with angle buttresses, panelled, embattled parapet with pinnacles at angles and smaller side pinnacles. West entrance and 4-light west window with late Decorated tracery. 2 windows of 2 lights, 3-face clock and 2 bell openings of 2 lights with pierced stone screens. Flanking porches with diagonal buttresses. 4-bay nave has 3- light aisle windows with reticulated tracery and 2-light clerestory windows. Transepts have 4-light windows, one north-east window. Chancel has 5-light east window and 2 north windows. Mausoleum has diagonal buttress and parapet with pinnacle, cusped arched entrance and window with railings. Interior: 5-bay nave arcade, wider arches to transepts. Chancel has lower walls faced with marble and banded upper walls; 2-bay arcade to organ chamber. Low chancel wall with corbelled pulpit; choir stalls. Marble font on octagonal base under tower. South transept has wall monument to J.Bibby (died 1840), figure of Hope with profile below. Free standing monument to Mrs. Bibby by Fabiani (taken from mausoleum). Windows by Morris and Co, designed by Burne-Jones, except North transept east window by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. West and east windows of 1875-6 (the latter the Adoration of the Lamb). South transept window of 1877, 4 Good Men; north transept window of 1880, 4 Good Women. Chancel north windows of 1881, Angels. 8 aisle windows of 1882-6, scenes from the Life of Christ. The windows show Burne-Jones' development as a stained-glass designer and constitute one of the most complete sets to be found; the cartoons were re-used at e.g. Jesus College Chapel, Cambridge. A. Charles Sewter, The Stained Glass of William Morris and his Circle, 1974 pp 41,52.

Listing NGR: SJ3998687471

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
213646
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Sewter, A , The Stained Glass of William Morris and his Circle, (1975), 41, 52

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06437/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Cross. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].