ALLERTON PRIORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1068415
Date first listed:
12-Jul-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
24-Sep-1998
Statutory Address:
ALLERTON PRIORY, ALLERTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ALLERTON PRIORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068415 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jul-2019 at 09:58:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
ALLERTON PRIORY, ALLERTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 41354 86233

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 25/11/2016

SJ 4186, 392/43/58

LIVERPOOL, ALLERTON ROAD, Allerton Priory

12.07.66

G.V.

II*

Former house, school, now apartments. 1867-70. A. Waterhouse for John Grant Morris, Mayor of Liverpool (1866-7). Brick with blue brick and stone banding and dressings, slate roof with blue tile cresting. Irregular plan and fenestration, mostly mullioned windows, some with relieving arches. 2 storeys with attic, 10 bays. 1st and 2nd bays project, the 2nd breaking forward under gable. 4th bay breaks forward under gable; 7th bay projects, forming base of tower which has cusped pointed entrance of 2 orders between angle buttresses; 2 and 3-light windows; corbelled pinnacles, arcaded parapet and pavilion roof with hipped dormers and iron cresting. Porch has rib vault. Entrance hall has large stone, canopied fireplace; stair to side has arcading to ground and 1st floors and stained glass stair window.









Listing NGR: SJ4234686722

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
213650
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06438/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Cross. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].