This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HINDLEY HALL (GOLF CLUBHOUSE)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HINDLEY HALL (GOLF CLUBHOUSE)

List entry Number: 1068426

Location

HINDLEY HALL (GOLF CLUBHOUSE), HALL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wigan

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Jun-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 213572

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 27/10/2015

SD 60 NW 6/16

ASPULL HALL LANE (west side) Hindley Hall (Golf Clubhouse)

9.6.66 II House. Perhaps originating 1767. Remodelled or rebuilt in 1811 when the owner, Sir Robert Holt Leigh, was in correspondence with his sister about building work; Hindley Hall is not directly mentioned, though payments for Hindley workmen are referred to. Receipts dated 1811 also mention building materials such as stone, lime and 34,300 bricks, as well as the polishing of old Italian marble chimney pieces (correspondence and receipts held in Wigan Archive Service, Leigh Town Hall; receipts in Clayton Accounts). Brick with stone dressings. 3 storeys, 7 bays, with later extension to right of 2 storeys and 2 bays; 3rd to 5th bays break forward and are slightly higher. Stone base, 2 bands and top cornice and parapet, ramped to 3-bay centre; quoins. Windows have wedge lintels and are sashed with glazing bars, those to 1st 2 bays are blind, with painted sashes. Entrance has flat pilasters and entablature with paired glazed doors. Extension has similar details; 1st floor windows and entrance to 2nd bay. Left return of 6 bays, the 6th bay breaking forward. Rear similar to front; parapet not ramped to centre, which has quoins to projecting top; C20 fire escape. Right return has small service wing. Interior: has stair with brackets to cut string and 3 turned balusters to each tread. 2nd floor, not inspected, said to have original fireplaces.

Listing NGR: SD6168905904

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 61689 05904

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068426 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jul-2018 at 11:37:56.

End of official listing