Stone-built portico of St Georges School

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1068449
Date first listed:
27-Jul-1987
Statutory Address:
Stone-built portico of St Georges School, School Street, Tyldesley

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068449.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2020 at 16:24:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
Stone-built portico of St Georges School, School Street, Tyldesley

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 68885 01967

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 05/12/2019

SD 60 SE 2/58

TYLDESLEY SCHOOL STREET (east side) Stone-built portico of St Georges School

GV II

School. 1829, altered 1858. Dressed stone with slate roof. Plain symmetrical seven-bay two-storey plan with two bays extended to right later in the century. Gothick. Doors in bays one and seven (latter blocked) below pointed arches. Otherwise each bay on each floor has a Y-tracery window. The two-bay addition is in a similar style. A central plaque records: “TYLDESLEY CHURCH SCHOOLS/ MDCCCXXIX/ REBUILT AND ENLARGED/ MDCCCLVIII”. Projecting plinth, coved cornice and hipped roof behind a blocking course. Similar elevation to rear (but without tracery to windows) partly obscured by later brick extensions and a flying corridor at first floor level.

Listing NGR: SD6888501967

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
213527
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/06904/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Patrick Norris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].