PARK LANE UNITARIAN AND FREE CHRISTIAN CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1068464

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Statutory Address: PARK LANE UNITARIAN AND FREE CHRISTIAN CHAPEL, WIGAN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARK LANE UNITARIAN AND FREE CHRISTIAN CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068464 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 01:20:03.

Location

Statutory Address: PARK LANE UNITARIAN AND FREE CHRISTIAN CHAPEL, WIGAN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 56871 01658

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASHTON IN MAKERFIELD WIGAN ROAD SD 50 SE (west side) 9/9 Park Lane Unitarian and Free Christian 7.12.66 Chapel II Unitarian chapel. 1697 with alterations of 1871 and 2-storey extension of 1867. Pebble-dashed brick with stone dressings and stone slate roof. 5 bays, the western bay of 2 storeys with gables to north and south. Stone base, weathered buttresses with decorated gablets, 2 raking buttresses to north, top corbelled frieze, 2 string courses. Straight- headed windows with plaster surrounds and C19 glazing. 3 urns on plinths to south side. East facade has coped gable with ball finial; 2 round-headed lights and roundel with C19 stained glass. Western bay has 2 string courses, segmental- headed entrance to south, paired round-headed windows above have pilasters and archivolts. Square bell turret to junction of ridges has open sides and pyramidal shingled roof. West facade has round-headed windows, 2 to ground floor, one of 2 lights to 1st floor. Interior has wainscotting formed from doors to original box pews with initials of owners and date 1697. Arch-braced canted ceiling conceals original roof trusses. West gallery over entrance hall of school. Original pulpit at east end has bolection- moulded panels, and brass memorial plaque dated 1775 from a chapel at Prescot. The oldest non-conformist chapel in the district.

Listing NGR: SD5687101658

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 213565

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing