Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of HOPWOOD HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068466 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2019 at 03:33:59.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Rochdale (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 87483 08299


SD 80 NE; 2/24

MIDDLETON, ROCHDALE ROAD (north-west side), Hopwood Hall



House, now part of training college. Largely of the C17 and C18 but incorporating parts of an early C16 open-hall timber-framed structure and various C19 and C20 additions and alterations. Brick with stone dressings and graduated stone slate roof. Quadrangular 2-storey plan with later additions to west including a C20 extension which is not of special interest. A symmetrical gatehouse (of 1690 but rebuilt in C20) gives access to the courtyard through double studded-oak gates. It has a projecting plinth, stone quoins, a segmental archway, and a flat roof replacing the original pitched roof. Two 6-light double-chamfered stone mullion and transom windows on each floor and a C19 oriel window in bay 2 with coat of arms and castellated parapet. The windows, which have leaded lights and hoodmould (with coiled stops on the ground floor), have on the whole been replaced or re-cut. The C19 2-bay addition to right repeats similar details. The left return consists of a library of c.1755 with C19 2-storey bay window and a dining room of c.1840 with large mullion and transom windows. The rear (south) elevation has four bays and various later additions which step up the hill to left. The screens-passage door with stone surround remains in its original position adjacent to a 2-storey late C16 canted bay window with 9-light mullion and transom windows on each floor. The canted bay windows in bays 3 and 4 are C19 but contribute greatly to the house's distinctive character. Bay 1 has mullioned windows on each floor; the later additions have casements. The numerous circular chimney shafts are largely C19 or C20.

INTERIOR: the C16 roof trusses including the spere truss over the original hall are all intact. They have king posts and cusped braces. The floor which was inserted in the late C16 is also complete with its heavily moulded beams. The extent to which the timber frame still exists has not been fully explored. Substantial quantity of carved oak includes doors, door surrounds, fire surrounds, panelling etc. Its age and origins are varied but much dates from the early C17. Tudor-arched fire surround in stone dated 1658 bearing initials FG and a coat of arms. Other features including much C19 work are of interest.

The house is particularly noteworthy as an example of a quadrangular plan which developed around a timber-framed open hall.

Listing NGR: SD8748308299


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Macdonald, C S , A History of Hopwood Hall, (1963)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00608/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pamela Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].