Church of St Michael

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1068468

Date first listed: 19-Sep-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Mar-1987

Statutory Address: Church of St Michael, Townley Street

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Michael
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068468 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 15:33:28.

Location

Statutory Address: Church of St Michael, Townley Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Rochdale (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 87467 05689

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 80 NE 2/27

MIDDLETON TOWNLEY STREET (east side) Church of St Michael

(formerly listed as St Michael's and All Angels, Tonge)

19/9/69

II Church. 1902 with side chapel added in 1926 and tower in 1930. By Austin and Paley. Snecked stone with clay tile roof. Nave with clerestory and aisles, chancel flanked by side chapel, vestry and organ chamber; virtually free standing tower to west of north aisle.

Gothic Revival in a Perpendicular style. Four-bay nave and aisle with weathered buttresses. Two, three and four-light flat-headed aisle windows and three-light round-arched clerestory windows with Perpendicular tracery. Coped gables with kneelers and cross finials. Transversely roofed organ chamber and vestry, both gabled. Five-light west and east windows the former above a canted baptistry.

The four-stage tower has diagonal buttresses, an octagonal corner stair turret, bands separating each stage, a door below chequer-patterned stonework, a four-light window, clock-faces on the third stage, three-light belfry openings and a castellated parapet above a blind mouchette frieze.

Interior: rock-faced stone. Double-chamfered arches on octagonal nave arcade columns. Tie-beam and collar roof trusses. Carved stone and timber fittings. Stained glass.

The church stands on an elevated site.

Listing NGR: SD8746705689

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 213467

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing