CHOWBENT UNITARIAN CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1068472

Date first listed: 15-Jul-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Jul-1987

Statutory Address: CHOWBENT UNITARIAN CHAPEL, BOLTON OLD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHOWBENT UNITARIAN CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068472 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 05:28:24.

Location

Statutory Address: CHOWBENT UNITARIAN CHAPEL, BOLTON OLD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 67904 03215

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ATHERTON BOLTON OLD ROAD SD 60 SE (south side) 2/3 Chowbent Unitarian Chapel (formerly listed 15/7/66 as Chowbent Chapel) G.V. II* Chapel, originally Presbyterian. 1721 replacing an earlier building of 1645. Flemish bond brick with stone dressings and slate roof. 3-sided-gallery.plan.A 2-storey entrance wing of 1901 dominates the front elevation. It has a gable pediment, an entrance with fanlight and keystone, a sundial, a commemorative plaque and an oculus within the tympanum. Abutments to either side obscure the original entrance doors. The 3-bay side elevations and 4-bay rear have a stone plinth, quoins and an eaves cornice on shaped brackets. Each bay has a round-arched window which is keyed into a continuous band on both first and second floor levels. C19 vestry to right. Elegant open cupola with lead roof and weather-vane. Interior: an outstanding and virtually complete survival with a central 3-decker pulpit surrounded by box pews on 3 sides. The pews have raised and fielded panels and have only been replaced on the rear gallery. Turned oak columns support the gallery and a second tier the roof. C18 commemorative tablets include one above the pulpit to J. Wood, died 1759, which has swept sides and is topped by an urn. Studded oak vestry door rehung from the earlier 1645 chapel. Stained glass, some by Shrigley and Hunt. The 1901 interior is not without quality especially in its timber and glass fittings. Generally a fine example of well preserved early C18 non-conformist architecture. J. Wright, The storey of Chowbent Chapel, 1921.

Listing NGR: SD6790403215

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 213471

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Wright, J , The Story of Chowbent Chapel, (1921)

End of official listing