CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1068475

Date first listed: 15-Jul-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Jul-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, MARKET STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068475 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 17:54:14.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, MARKET STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 67595 03138

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ATHERTON MARKET STREET SD 60 SE (north side) 2/8 Church of St John the Baptist (formerly listed as church of 15/7/66 St John Market Place) G.V. II Church. 1879. By Paley and Austin. Dressed stone, ashlar dressings and clay tile roof. Nave, clerestory and aisles with south-west tower; chancel flanked by side chapel and 2- storey vestry. Gothic Revival in Decorated style. 5-bay nave and 2-bay chancel all under a continuous roof. The aisles have weathered buttresses, 4-light windows with Decorated tracery and hoodmoulds on the south and 3-light flat-headed windows on the north. Square clerestory lights. The chancel has a 6-light transomed window above fleuron motifs in a chequered panel. The buttress to its right includes an enriched statue niche. 2-storey organ chamber and vestry with octagonal corner turret. 7-light west window. Coped gables and eaves parapet. The monumental 4- stage castellated tower stands outside the south aisle. It has octagonal piers at each corner which rise as conically roofed pinnacles, a 4-light window above the door, clock faces on the third stage and 3-light belfry openings below a statue in canopied niche. Interior: clustered columns with moulded capitals and bases support a double-chamfered nave arcade. The whole is faced in ashlar. Hammer-beam roof trusses. Sedilia and piscina. Timberwork includes stalls, pews, organ casing and intricately carved choir screen. Alabaster font and stone pulpit. Stained glass; east window Kempe, 1896. An imposing building which exhibits fine craftsmanship both inside and out.

Listing NGR: SD6759503138

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 213476

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing