LIGHT OAKS HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1068483

Date first listed: 07-Nov-1966

Statutory Address: LIGHT OAKS HALL, LIGHT OAKS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of LIGHT OAKS HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068483 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 17:27:54.

Location

Statutory Address: LIGHT OAKS HALL, LIGHT OAKS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 67558 96706

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEIGH LIGHT OAKS ROAD SD 69 NE (north side) 6/34 Light Oaks Hall 7/11/66 II* House. Early C17. Brick with stone dressings and slate roof. 2 bays and 2 storeys remain of a former 3-bay house. The left gable was rebuilt and the rear added to in C20. Bay 1 has a 10-light double-chamfered stone mullion window with king mullion on each floor. Bay 2 has a similar 5-light window on each floor. All have hoodmoulds. In between is the original studded door in a heavy chamfered surround with obtuse-angled lintel. The most notable feature of the elevation is the use of lozenge pattern decoration in black brick headers over the entire first floor. Bold projecting chimney stack to right gable-end. A small wing projects to the rear of the right bay and a C20 extension to rear of left bay. Despite the loss of a bay to the left, the elevation is of exceptional quality. Interior: the main door opens directly into the house-part which has C17 panelling throughout. The panelling includes 3 armorial panels and a fourth with combined arms and a date of 1657. 3 heavy ovolo-moulded beams with stepped stops. C20 fire surround and overmantle. Victoria County History of Lancashire, 1907.

Listing NGR: SJ6755896706

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 213502

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Farrer, W, Brownbill, J, The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster, (1906)

End of official listing