CHURCH OF ST. THOMAS NEW HEY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1068490

Date first listed: 23-Apr-1986

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST. THOMAS NEW HEY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST. THOMAS NEW HEY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068490 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 02:44:32.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST. THOMAS NEW HEY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Rochdale (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 93742 11745

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 91 SW MILNROW CHURCH STREET (north-east side) 3/84 Church of St. Thomas - New Hey

- II Church. 1876-7. By H. Lloyd for James Heap. Rock-faced stone with white stone dressings and fishscale slate roof. Nave with clerestory, aisles, transepts, south-west tower and a chancel. Gothic revival. 5-bay nave and aisles with projecting plinth and weathered buttresses. Each bay has paired lights with Geometrical tracery and hoodmould in the aisles and two paired clerestory lights with cusped heads. 4-light transept windows. Coped gables with kneelers and cross finials. Chancel flanked by vestry and organ chamber has 5-light east window. The 4-stage tower has diagonal gableted buttresses topped by crocketed pinnacles, a crocketed triangular hoodmould above the door, an arcade of cusped lights at the first stage, a circular opening at the second, and paired belfry lights. The broach spire which has lucarnes and a weather-cock is set back behind an enriched parapet. Interior: Double-chamfered nave arcade on circular columns with naturalistic capitals and moulded bases. The tall transept arches are flanked by small secondary arches. Alternating arch-braced and tie-beam roof trusses. Blind arcading to sanctuary. Stone font and pulpit. Stained glass. Timber fittings. The church is a very close copy of Holy Trinity Church Western Super Mare (Lloyd 1861). It takes advantage of its dominating site and starkly contrasting materials to produce a distinctive and imposing building.

Listing NGR: SD9374211745

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 213422

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing