THE CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1068497

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Apr-1986

Statutory Address: THE CASTLE, LANE BOTTOM

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068497 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 01:38:00.

Location

Statutory Address: THE CASTLE, LANE BOTTOM

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Rochdale (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 95441 12059

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 91 SE MILNROW LOWER OGDEN Lane Bottom 4/97 The Castle (formerly listed as file Castle 24/1/67 Farmhouse) G.V. II Farmhouse, now house. "IT 1715" on porch lintel although the house is likely to date from late C17. Hammer-dressed stone with graduated stone slate roof. 3-unit plan with 2 storeys. Projecting plinth, quoins and continuous dripmould. Single- storey porch between bays 2 and 3 has a moulded surround, an obtuse-angled lintel with recessed spandrels, and a gable. Each bay has a 5-light double-chamfered mullion window on each floor except for the house-part window which is 6 lights and a small single light above the porch which is of C20 date. Coped gables with kneelers. 2 rendered ridge chimney stacks. 3-light windows inserted to each gable-end in C20, the right also having a C20 bow window. Single- storey lean-to addition to rear, a C20 extension to rear right and a small C20 wing with a lintel dated "IT 1710" which was removed from the old shippon. Rear windows include two of 2 lights (one a fire window) which have been partly obscured by the lean-to addition and two of 3-lights with double-chamfered mullions. Interior: Chamfered floor beams with stepped or run-out stops. A staircase now takes the place of an inglenook fireplace but the 2 small wall cupboards remain, one having an oak door with butterfly hinges. First floor fireplace with chamfered surround and obtuse- angled lintel with recessed spandrels.

Listing NGR: SD9544112059

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 213435

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing