This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD DUKE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD DUKE

List entry Number: 1068508

Location

12, EALEES
THE OLD DUKE, 10, EALEES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Rochdale

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-Apr-1986

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Sep-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 213359

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for LITTLEBOROUGH EALEES

1/26 No 10 (Ye Olde Duke) and 12

The address shall be amended to read EALEES

No 10 (The Old Duke) and 12

The last line of the list description should be amended to read "1860, used as a public house - The Duke of York"

------------------------------------

SD 91 NW LITTLEBOROUGH EALEES 1/26 No. 10 (Ye Olde Duke) - and 12

G.V. II House and 3 workers' cottages (now a house) added at rear. 1820 for Edmund Kershaw, engine maker. Cottages added in 1850s. Hammer-dressed watershot stone with graduated stone slate roof. Single-depth central-entrance house with 3 bays and 3 storeys with 3 one-room (plus attic and cellar) cottages at rear. Symmetrical elevation has quoins, central door with square-cut surrounds and 6 or 4-pane sash windows (two of which are replaced by C20 casements) on ground and first floors. Continuous workshop window on top floor most of the flat-faced mullioned lights having been rendered over. Gable chimney stacks. The rear cottages, entered at first floor level, each have a square-cut door surround, a 2-light flat-faced mullion window and eaves which have been raised to accommodate another storey. The house was, in 1860, used as a public house - The Duke of Norfolk.

Listing NGR: SD9423616290

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 94236 16290

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068508 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2018 at 09:17:41.

End of official listing