CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1068518
Date first listed:
02-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH STREET
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, LODGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068518 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 21:10:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH STREET
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, LODGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rochdale (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 93888 16416

Details

SD 91 NW LITTLEBOROUGH LODGE STREET (east side)

1/41 Church of the 2/1/67 Holy Trinity

G.V. II Church. Rebuilt 1818-1820 by Thomas Taylor of Leeds with chancel 1889 by Crowther. Dressed stone and ashlar with slate roof. 3-sided gallery plan with central west tower and comparatively large chancel. 5-bay nave has weathered plinth and castellated parapet. Each bay has a weathered gableted buttress incorporating a gargoyle and a 3-light window with interlaced tracery. The tower is flanked by stair bays; it has 3 stages with diagonal buttresses, a door at ground level, moulded bands, arched openings on the second and third stages, a coped parapet incorporating gabled clock faces, corner pinnacles and a steeple with lucarnes. The 3- bay chancel is in an accomplished Perpendicular style having 3-light windows, a priest's door, buttresses with crocketed pinnacles and a 7-light east window. The roof is steeper and has a higher ridge-line than that of the nave. Interior: gallery on cast-iron columns, arch-braced roof trusses and a heavily moulded chancel arch. The chancel is lined with red sandstone and has double-hammer-beam roof trusses with angelic minstrels as well as a piscina and sedilia. Timber fittings and stained glass.

Listing NGR: SD9388816416

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
213376
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/15437/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Lomas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].