This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PETER

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1068592

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH WHITFIELD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Dover

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Whitfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Apr-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 178526

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 34 NW WHITFIELD CHURCH WHITFIELD ROAD north side 2/87 Church of St. Peter

GV II*

Church. C8 or C10. Extended C.1200. Restored 1894 by Ewan Christian. Flint and plain tiled roofs. Nave, north aisles chancel and sanctuary, south porch and vestry. Blocked west doorway (flint jambs visible) and small round headed gable light, with rebated head of single block of stone, both probably C8 features. Restored C12 lancet cuts into doorhead. Flint jambed double-splayed window above south porch exposed remains of arcade in south wall. Double lancet and roundel east window to north aisle, otherwise C19 fenestration throughout. Porch,north aisle and chancel all C19, with shingled bell turret. Interior C8 nave and chancel, with exposed remains in south wall of C12 arcade to demolished south aisle, with round piers. Simple tall round headed chancel arch altered 1894, with surviving round arched opening on round responds with scalloped capitals (part of south arcade now to C19 vestry) in Saxon chancel, with simple pointed arches to north aisle and second chancel (originally C13, rebuilt 1894). Two bay arcade from nave to north aisle, C19 with double chamfered arches on round pier. C19 roofs. Monuments Lucy and George Stringer (1821 and 1839), large black and white wall monument as a neo- classical aedicule with oval plaque and urn over; Harriett Stringer- Latham d.1825, white wall plaque as a sarcophagus with reeded side pieces and pediment over the C13 bell said to be oldest in Kent. The church since 1971 has been reorganised, with centralised plan, the altar now in north aisle, facing south, the old chancel and sanctuary now vestry/school rooms. (See BOE Kent II 1983, 495; Church guide, 1986, Joyce Molyneux).

Listing NGR: TR3107145886

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Molyneux, J, Church of St Peter Church Guide, (1986)
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 495

National Grid Reference: TR 31071 45886

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068592 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2018 at 12:43:37.

End of official listing