This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE BARRACKS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE BARRACKS

List entry Number: 1068683

Location

THE BARRACKS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Little Strickland

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Sep-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 74327

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 51 NE LITTLE STRICKLAND LITTLE STRICKLAND

15/119 The Barracks

II

House and former stable. Early C18, dated and inscribed over entrance S(?) & I.H 17(4)5, with later alterations. Painted rendered walls on projecting boulder plinth. Graduated greenslate roof with rendered chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 3 bays with left 2-bay stable under common roof, now integral part of house. Within off-centre gabled stone porch is a C20 door in stone surround with dated lintel. Casement windows in original painted stone surrounds and small left firewindow. Stable has C20 plank door, in Tudor-arched doorway, and irregular casement windows in painted stone surrounds. Interior retains its full-width firebeam otherwise without features. The date over the entrance has been altered, probably to conform with the belief that this was used as a barracks by English soldiers pursuing the retreating Scottish army in December 1745 and hence the house name. Called Church View in RCHM, Westmorland, 1936, p.222. Right C20 single-storey extension is not of interest.

Listing NGR: NY5623119642

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Inventory Of Westmorland' in Inventory Of Westmorland, (1936), 222

National Grid Reference: NY 56231 19642

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068683 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 11:35:41.

End of official listing