STRICT BAPTIST CHAPEL AND WALLED FORECOURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1068714
Date first listed:
10-Oct-1989
Statutory Address:
STRICT BAPTIST CHAPEL AND WALLED FORECOURT, TOWN HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of STRICT BAPTIST CHAPEL AND WALLED FORECOURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068714 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 23:23:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
STRICT BAPTIST CHAPEL AND WALLED FORECOURT, TOWN HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Tunbridge Wells (District Authority)
Parish:
Lamberhurst
National Grid Reference:
TQ 67424 36002

Details

LAMBERHURST TOWN HILL TQ 6636-6736 & 6635-6735 (north west side) 8 & 9/262 Strict Baptist Chapel and walled forecourt GV II

Chapel. 1816, altered 1851. Red and blue chequered brick with slate hung rear addition. Slate roof. Simple Neo-Classical style rectangular chapel with 2 storey rear wing, the main elevation with pedimented gable containing gauged brick roundel and gauged round headed windows either side of central panelled double doors with traceried segmental fan and flat hood on brackets. Side elevations with brick dentil eaves cornice and single tall window opening. All windows with late C20 top bung casements (replacing sashes). Rear wing with sash windows and end stack. The upper courses of the chapel show signs of the 1851 alterations, the rear wing entirely of this date (although Homan, Victorian Churches of Kent, says the chapel was rebuilt 1851). Walled forecourt to east of chapel, c.1851 walls about 4 feet in height of red brick in English bond on sandstone base with coping stones and slight piers to corners and to central gate, itself with simple iron uprights. The right return side of the forecourt formed by the gates and walls to Murlingden, item no. 8/261 built c.1841 and predating the forecourt walls.

Listing NGR: TQ6742436002

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
170099
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Homans, R, Victorian Churches of Kent, (1984)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06256/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Norman Wigg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].