GLEN HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1068726

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1987

Statutory Address: GLEN HOUSE, 24, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GLEN HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068726 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 22:55:21.

Location

Statutory Address: GLEN HOUSE, 24, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Epworth

National Grid Reference: SE7827303844

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 7803-7903 20/67

EPWORTH HIGH STREET (north side)

No 24 (Glen House)

GV II

House. 1779 with minor alterations of 1930s. Brown brick in Flemish bond, rendered below ground-floor sill level. Pantile roof. L-shaped on plan: 2-room, central entrance-hall front with single-room wing to rear left. 2 storeys, 3 bays; symmetrical. Central bay breaks forward. Entrance has stone step to pedimented doorcase with slim ribbed pilasters carrying dosserets with moulded cornice and moulded pediment; deep overlight with geometric glazing over recessed 6-panel door (4 fielded panels over flush panels). Three-quarters height flat-roofed canted bay windows to either side have C20 plate-glass sashes to each floor in original wood surrounds with sills, architraves and moulded cornices. Narrow central first-floor sash with C20 plate-glass sash in original opening with flush wooden architrave and sill beneath stucco flat arch. Plain wooden eaves board, bracketed corniced wooden gutter. Stone-coped gables with shaped kneelers. Corniced end stacks. Rainwater head to left gable bears inscription:

V J S 1779

Interior. Hall has fine open-well cantilevered staircase with ramped and wreathed corniced handrail, slender drop-on-vase balusters with square knops, clustered foot newel and profiled cheek-pieces; moulded cornice and frieze to upper hall ceiling with plasterwork fan motif; moulded cornice and ribbed frieze to lower hall ceiling. Ground-floor front rooms have moulded cornices, ribbed friezes and boxed-in spine beams to ceilings, basket-arched alcoves flanking chimneys. Moulded skirting, fielded-panel window reveals and 6-fielded-panel doors (some with H and L hinges) in ovolo-moulded architraves.

Listing NGR: SE7827303844

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 165128

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing