LOWTHER CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1068767
Date first listed:
06-Feb-1968
Statutory Address:
LOWTHER CASTLE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LOWTHER CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068767 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 23:00:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
LOWTHER CASTLE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Eden (District Authority)
Parish:
Lowther
National Park:
LAKE DISTRICT
National Grid Reference:
NY 52148 23802

Details

NY 52 SW LOWTHER LOWTHER

12/137 Lowther Castle 6.2.68 II*

Country house built as sham castle, now a ruin without roof. 1806-14 on site of medieval hall, by Sir Robert Smirke for 1st Earl of Lonsdale. Calciferous sandstone ashlar with string course and battlemented parapets. Tall central square stair tower behind, and projecting above, 3-storey, 3-bay centre flanked by 2-storey, 3-bay wings. Low flanking recessed 3-bay links to 2-storey, 3-bay end pavilions; each angle with either a circular or octagonal turret. Central porte-cochere has pointed arches under tracery stone panels, battlemented parapet and octagonal, panelled turrets. Central bays have mixed fenestration of 4-light Tudor window over porch and pointed-arched windows. Ground floor pointed-arched tracery windows in wings under 2-light Tudor-style windows. Pavilions have 2-light Tudor-style windows. All windows now without tracery or mullions. House was closed in 1935 (it had over 260 rooms and had cost £77,000) and partly used as a tank training range during World War II. Contents sold in 1947 and roof removed 1957. See Colvin, Crook & Friedman, Architectural Drawings from Lowther Castle, 1980: Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, lxxxi, pp.122-136 and lxxxiv, pp.191-204. See also D. Sutherland, The Yellow Earl, 1965, for the later history of the castle.

Listing NGR: NY5214823802

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
74345
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, Crook, Friedman, , Architectural Drawings from Lowther Castle, (1980)
Sutherland, D , The Yellow Earl, (1965)
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, (), 122-136
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, (), 191-204
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 9 Cumbria,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].