1-4, SHORT STREET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1068782

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1972

Statutory Address: 1-4, SHORT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 1-4, SHORT STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068782 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 17:58:24.

Location

Statutory Address: 1-4, SHORT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Cambridge (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TL 45456 58720

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHORT STREET 1. 942 Nos 1 to 4 (consec) TL 4558 NW 4/665 II 2. circa 1820. Built by Charles Humfrey as part of the Doll's close development (qv Maid's Causeway). Grey gault brick. 2 storeys and basement, 2 windows, sashes with glazing bars. Brick plat band at first floor cill-level. Timber doorcases with side - pilasters and simplified entablatures. Mid C19 door-surround to No 1 with shallow bracketted hood. Slate roof. No 3 has a street name-plate carved in stone. The north gable end of No 1 forms the original west end feature of Maid's Causeway, but very altered in late C19. The original concept remains on No 1 Fair Street (qv). A broad wall arch with elliptical head and pediment over. The arch filled by a 2 storey canted bay in late C19. The screen wall connection with No 4 Maid's Causeway replaced by No 2 in late Cl9. (RCHM 266).

Listing NGR: TL4545658720

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 47768

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of Cambridge, (1959)

End of official listing