This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE TOWN HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE TOWN HALL

List entry Number: 1068981

Location

THE TOWN HALL, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Shepway

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hythe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-Jan-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 175109

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 1253 HIGH STREET (North Side)

The Town Hall

TR 1634 NW 2/8 3.1.50

II* GV

2. Built in 1794. The ground floor was the open Market, which consists of a carriage entrance at each end, flanked by a stone wall fronted with rusticated stuccoed quoins and between these carriage entrances an arcade of 2 rows of 4 Tuscan stone columns. The 1st floor contains the Council Chamber or Guildhall. Stuccoed. 5 windows, The 3 centre window bays project slightly. Long and short quoins to this centre projection and to both sides of the wings. Cornice and parapet with pediment in the parapet over the centre projection. Slate roof. Tall sash windows with glazing-bars intact. Clock on brackets projecting from the tympanum of the pediment, presumably added later. The Council Chamber has a fine marble fireplace with Ionic half-columns, and festoons and a festooned overmantal to the door.

Nos 67 to 79 (odd) and Town Hall form a group.



Listing NGR: TR1619234786

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TR 16188 34781

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068981 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2018 at 01:54:11.

End of official listing