THE ANCHOR INN AND HOUSE ADJOINING TO REAR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1069056

Date first listed: 14-Oct-1987

Statutory Address: THE ANCHOR INN AND HOUSE ADJOINING TO REAR, HAMPSTEAD LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE ANCHOR INN AND HOUSE ADJOINING TO REAR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1069056 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 01:06:54.

Location

Statutory Address: THE ANCHOR INN AND HOUSE ADJOINING TO REAR, HAMPSTEAD LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Maidstone (District Authority)

Parish: Yalding

National Grid Reference: TQ 68998 49808

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YALDING HAMPSTEAD LANE TQ 6849 & 6949 (south-west side) 7/104 The Anchor Inn and House ajoining to rear GV II

House, outbuilding, or special purpose building (possibly a public house). Associated with canal, probably as public house, from about 1780, when canal and lock were constructed. C17 or earlier. Rear addition circa 1780. Situated on north-west bank of river Medway, in angle between river and west bank of canal, and facing into the angle. 5 timber-framed bays. Timber framed, rendered. Right gable end partly clad with painted brick. Thatched roof. 1 storeys. Roof hipped to left, half-hipped to right. Red brick ridge stack in narrow second bay from left. Small dormer with eight-paned casement, under slanted thatched roof to right of centre. Small raised thatched 'apron' under stack and under dormer. Irregular ground-floor fenestration of 3 paned casements; one two-light to left end, one shallow four-light 'oriel' on brackets towards centre, and one small casement towards right end. Boarded door to left of stack and half-glazed door to right of centre. Rear lean-to to right. Addition of c.1780 at right-angles to rear to left : brick ground floor, tile-hung rear half gable. Plain tile-roof. 1½ storeys, with half-hipped mansard roof. Red and grey brick stack to right side. Flat -roofed dormer to long left side. Small single light to rear gable end. Lean-to to long right side, built up to two storeys. Interior: gunstock-jowled posts to main range. Tie- beam to right end of left bay morticed for partition. Slightly higher ceiling to two bays right of stack. Axial beam to left end bay. Right end bay has close-set axial joists, stair trimmer to rear left corner, curved tension brace to front wall, and blocked two-light window with wooden cill. Other ceilings and roof-space plastered. Mid-to-late C20 addition to left not compatible.

Listing NGR: TQ6899849808

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 174901

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing