NORTON COURT INCLUDING COURTYARD WALLS AND OUTBUILDINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1069219

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1952

Statutory Address: NORTON COURT INCLUDING COURTYARD WALLS AND OUTBUILDINGS, NORTON LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NORTON COURT INCLUDING COURTYARD WALLS AND OUTBUILDINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1069219 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 06:54:44.

Location

Statutory Address: NORTON COURT INCLUDING COURTYARD WALLS AND OUTBUILDINGS, NORTON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Swale (District Authority)

Parish: Norton, Buckland and Stone

National Grid Reference: TQ 96738 61202

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 96 SE NORTON AND BUCKLAND NORTON LANE (east side)

1/69 Norton Court including courtyard walls and out- 27.8.52 buildings

GV II

House and courtyards. C17, remodelled early C19 and 1910 by Sir Reginald Blomfield. Painted brick in Flemish bond with plain tiled roof. Two storeys on plinth, with platband and cornice, and attic with 3 pedimented dormers and stacks to rear right and to left. Irregular fenestration of 6 glazing bar sashes with shutters on first floor, and 4 segment headed glazing bar sashes on ground floor. Two 8 panelled doors to left and to right. Main entrance in right return front, double doors of 6 panels with tracered elliptical fanlight, and attached Doric columns. Rear ranges tile hung and half-hipped. Interior: contains a painted "monks room" decorated by fugitive Catholic recusant C17. Courtyard and garden walls to rear of house in painted and red brick approx. 8 feet in height in 3 courts enclosing an area approx. 100 yards long by 60 yards. The house was originally built 1625 for the Milles family, reputedly by Inigo Jones. Remodelled early C19 and restored by Blomfield in 1910, the main range was destroyed by fire 1966. The present house, of the late C17, was a service wing to the main range.

Listing NGR: TQ9673861202

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 176475

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing