This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1069371



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Swale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bredgar

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 176122

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



7/6 Swanton Street 27.8.52 Farmhouse

GV II* Farmhouse. Front of 1719 to earlier building. Brown brick with red brick dressings and plain tiled roof. Three storeys and basement on plinth with giant pilasters to left and right projecting central bay and splayed at top shaped parapet gable with hipped roof and stacks to left and right. Regular fenestration of 3 semi-circular headed wood casements on top floor, 5 glazing bar sash on first floor, the central with semi-circular fan light over and keyed and rusticated surrounds, and 4 glazing bar sash on ground floor. Apart from the central window, all windows with aprons and gauged heads with keystones developed into large brackets. Central door of 6 raised and fielded panels with semi-circular fanlight with keyed and gauged surround at head of flight of 3 steps. Basement openings to left and right, 1 storey red brick extension to right. Keystone to door inscribed: EH 17 19 Interior: full pine-panelled rooms, original early C18 staircase turned balusters and curved hand rail. The 1719 work done for Edward Holliday, a London goldsmith. (See B.O.E. Kent II, 1983, 158. Also K. Downes, English Baroque Architecture, London 1966).

Listing NGR: TQ8769659476

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Downes, K, English Baroque Architecture, (1966)
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 158

National Grid Reference: TQ 87550 59319


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1069371 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 11:29:38.

End of official listing