This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FORGE HOUSE AND BARROW HOUSE AND RAILINGS TO NORTH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORGE HOUSE AND BARROW HOUSE AND RAILINGS TO NORTH

List entry Number: 1069391

Location

FORGE HOUSE AND BARROW HOUSE AND RAILINGS TO NORTH, THE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Swale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Borden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Nov-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 176066

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 86 SE BORDEN THE STREET (south side)

5/34 Forge House and Barrow house and Railings to north

GV II

Two houses and Assembly Rooms. 1823. White brick and slate roof. Two storeys on basement, and hipped roof with 4 stacks evenly spaced. Regular fenestration of 6 glazing bar sash windows on first floor with cambered and gauged heads, and 4 glazing bar sash with gauged basket arches on ground floor. Two 6 panelled doors left and right with semi-circular traceried fanlights in gauged arched surrounds at top of flight of 2 steps. Interior: preserved are the meeting rooms of the Barrow's Trust with marble fireplace, panelled walls and carved and moulded frieze. Fore- court enclosed by fleur-de-lys iron rails, 30 yards in length. Rear elevation with plaque inscribed: Erected By Mr. Barrow's Trustees Richard Tylden Esq. William Bland Jnr. Esq. Revd. R.O. Tylden William Baldwin Esq. 1823 The Trust still maintains charitable functions and meets in the Rooms.

Listing NGR: TQ8828362946

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 88279 62948

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1069391 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2018 at 03:50:23.

End of official listing