This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GROVE COTTAGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GROVE COTTAGE

List entry Number: 1069425

Location

Grove Cottage, Western Link, Faversham, ME13 7UA

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Swale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Faversham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Aug-1972

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 175952

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 12/09/2014

TR 0062 5/256 1103

FAVERSHAM, WESTERN LINK, Grove Cottage

(Formerly listed as Nos 1 & 2 (Grove Cottages) , OARE ROAD (West Side), DAVINGTON)

II GV

Pair of cottages on gunpowder works, now one house. Early/mid C18, altered late C19. Brick footings, weatherboarded timber frame above, central ridge stack and tiled half-hipped roof.

PLAN: Single-depth plan with rear outshut.

EXTERIOR: 2 storey - 4 window range, formerly each house of 2 windows, with central doorway, now only right-hand survives; 6/6-pane casements, with 4/4-pane casements in 4 hipped dormers.

INTERIOR: Altered 1990s.

HISTORY: The Oare Gunpowder Works was working from the C18 and underwent continuous development until 1936 when it closed. It included three houses at the NE end occupied by staff of the Works, which are the only surviving standing remains of the C18 Works.

(Cocroft, W, 'Oare Gunpowder Works', Faversham Papers in association with RCHME, N° 39, p28, 1994; Percival, A J, 'The Faversham Gunpowder Industry and its development', Faversham Papers, N° 4 3rd Ed. 1986)



Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TR 00577 62703

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1069425 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2018 at 04:19:24.

End of official listing