THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1069522

Date first listed: 30-Jun-1949

Statutory Address: THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CANNON STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1069522 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 09:23:18.

Location

Statutory Address: THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CANNON STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Dover (District Authority)

Parish: Dover

National Grid Reference: TR 31920 41516

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



685/2/25 CANNON STREET 30-JUN-49 (Northeast side) The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin

II*



Parish Church. Built on the site of some Roman Baths and a Saxon church on the site mentioned in Domesday Book, but the oldest part of the present structure is Norman. Early C12 west tower and four bays of the arcades but aisles, remainder of the nave and chancel by J C and C Buckler in Early English style. Built of flint with stone dressings. West tower is square of five stages surmounted by spire with weathervane. Arcading on the west face, increasingly rich towards the top. Colonnettes with block capitals, arches with a series of scallops. Plain renewed west doorway with shafts. Aisles have lancet windows. Most stained glass windows were lost during the Second War. INTERIOR: Tower arch with recessed shafts and a roll. The three west bays of the Norman nave arcades are early C12 and a further bay is almost contemporary but has a simpler base moulding. Round piers, scallop capitals and square abaci. C13 stained glass window to gallery. Norman octagonal Purbeck stone font bowl but remainder renewed. 1638 brass and a good series of C18 wall monuments. The remainder of the nave, aisles and chancel are of 1843-4. C19 pews.

[Buildings of England "North East and East Kent" Revised 1983 pp 297-8.]







2



Listing NGR: TR3192041516

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 177725

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Kent III, (1983), 297-8

End of official listing