Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of FISHER GATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1069601.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 12:22:03.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Dover (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TR 33282 58194


1. 5275 THE QUAY (South Side) Fisher Gate TR 3358 1/183 29.4.70.


2. Scheduled as an A.M. The only surviving one of the original mediaeval town gates of Sandwich. The lower portions date from about 1384. The upper portions added in 1578. It consists of a gateway with a 3 storeyed building over. Pointed stone arches set in a square arch of which the spandrels are faced with squared flints. The building is mostly of squared flints in the lower portions, with stone quoins but some stone rubble is incorporated in the ground floor. The top floors are mostly of brick. Stone string- course above 1st floor. Below this buttresses project sideways. Restored 3 light window with dripstone over on the 1st floor. blocked loop lights flanking this window. Modern windows on the 2nd and 3rd floors. Brick gable surmounting the top floor. Portcullis groove in centre arch.

The whole area of buildings or walls facing the Quay with Nos 3 and 5 Upper Strand Street form a group.

Listing NGR: TR3328258194


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/09785/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Didmon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].