CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1069922

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1069922 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 11:12:55.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Swale (District Authority)

Parish: Badlesmere

National Grid Reference: TR 01387 55096

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 05 NW SHELDWICH BADLESMERE

1/74 Church of St Leonard 24.1.67 GV II*

Parish church. C13 and early C19. Flint, entirely rendered and channelled except on part of nave north wall. Plain tiled roof. Chancel, nave, south porch and west tower. C19 west end, with chamfered Gothick lancets, and double chamfered west doorway to tower-cum-porch, with louvred belfry. Battlemented south porch. Chancel with offset corner buttresses, 2 east lancets and C14 ogee headed north window. North nave and chancel wall is inset 3 times with exposed quoins, the chancel roof also stepped - evidence of previous greater size of church. Interior: west tower intrudes into nave; nave roof of 2 large moulded crown posts, chancel roof of 3 spindly crown posts. No chancel arch, but chancel stepped in from nave, and north chancel wall stepped in, with exposed jambs of arcade to lost chapel. Fittings: complete set of C18 box pews with raised and fielded panels, the rear set raised in tiers. Integral 2-tier pulpit with ramped hand rail and panelling. C18 altar rail with turned balusters and square knops and moulded dado panelling to sanctuary and reredos with ball flower finial and inscriptions. C15 bench ends incorporated into C18 Choir stalls; linenfold panels, with emblem of Trinity on one end and Star and Garter on the other end. Inscribed to and made for Sir Richard Badlesmere, 1415. C15 octagonal font; plain with C17 wooden font cover. Royal coat of Arms 1717, and large hatchment on south wall. Six Tugged inscription boards in nave. The whole is remarkably unrestored and unusually so for this part of Kent.(See B.0.E. Kent II, 1983, 131).

Listing NGR: TR0162256679

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 176872

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 131

End of official listing