This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE NORTH HALF OF THE MAIN SCHOOL BUILDINGS TONBRIDGE SCHOOL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE NORTH HALF OF THE MAIN SCHOOL BUILDINGS TONBRIDGE SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1069984

Location

THE NORTH HALF OF THE MAIN SCHOOL BUILDINGS, HIGH STREET
TONBRIDGE SCHOOL, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Tonbridge and Malling

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Jan-1972

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 178708

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. HIGH STREET 1732 (West Side)

Tonbridge School

The North half of the main School Buildings. TQ 5947 SW 5/35D

II

2. These buildings were added in 1894. Architect Campbell Jones. Sandstone ashlar. To the south is a tower consisting of 2 carriage arches on ground floor, 2 storeys of 3-light windows above with 3 buttresses rising to the height of the second floor, then a panel of chequered flints and stone with a clock face in the centre and above this 4 narrow trefoil-headed lancets; octagonal turrets with parapet between and tall pyramidal tiled roof. Then comes a block of 7 windows with 3 lights on ground floor, 2 lights on 1st floor and gabled dormers of 2 lights each on 2nd floor. The section ends on the north with a smaller tower somewhat similar to that in the centre of the 1864 range but with its oriel window rising from the 1st to the 2nd floor. To the north and east of the 1894 block are the Science Buildings, erected in 1886-7 (Architect E H Burnell) which are not listed.

Listing NGR: TQ5906547021

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 59094 47046

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1069984 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-May-2018 at 09:58:15.

End of official listing