CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1070009

Date first listed: 22-Aug-1962

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, CANTERBURY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1070009 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Mar-2019 at 03:08:35.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, CANTERBURY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Dover (District Authority)

Parish: Denton with Wootton

National Grid Reference: TR 21642 46713

Details

TR 24 NW DENTON AND WOOTTON CANTERBURY ROAD (east side) 1/37 Church of St Mary 22.8.62 Magdalene GV II* Parish church. C13, east end rebuilt 1909. Flint, in part rendered, with plain tiled roof,chancel, nave and west tower. Tall west tower on plinth with string course to battlements. Simple chamfered western doorway, with lancets in tower. C13 lancets throughout, with Cl9 lancet and Decorated 2 light in south nave and channel, knapped flint east end with poor C20 East window. C19 wooden porch on flint base, with wave chamfered north doorway. Interior: small plain pointed arch on simple abaci to tower, with similar chancel arch, with traces of nailhead ornament to abaci. Roof of 3 spindly crown posts. Chancel with single crown post roof, and north window recess, either a blocked doorway, or a reading desk recess, with fragments of medieval glass set in it. Fittings: all C19, with box pews, font. Brass: set in chancel north wall, to John Boys d.1543 (?), a fine armorial achievement with inscription below, in moulded stone surrounds. Monuments: Phineas Andrewes, d.1661. Black and white marble wall plaque, an aedicule with Corinthian pilaster and segmental pediment; apron draped and with skull and bases and enriched brackets. Achievement over. William Willats, d.1867. White marble wall plaque. Round headed tryptich-like panel, with Early English style arcade, and scenes from the Voyage of Life. Set in nave north wall by the pulpit is a stone cross, the lettering on it as yet undeciphered, with small marble plaque over to Katherine Warly, d.1717. (See BOE Kent II 1983, 284).

Listing NGR: TR2151847232

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 178566

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 284

End of official listing