This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

RUINS OF ST RADEGUND'S ABBEY (THE UNINHABITED PORTIONS)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RUINS OF ST RADEGUND'S ABBEY (THE UNINHABITED PORTIONS)

List entry Number: 1070023

Location

RUINS OF ST RADEGUND'S ABBEY (THE UNINHABITED PORTIONS), ABBEY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Dover

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hougham Without

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Aug-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 178596

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 24 SE HOUGHAM ABBEY ROAD (south side) 4/67 Ruins of St. 22.8.62 Radegund's Abbey (the uninhabited portions) GV II* Monastic ruins. C13. Rubble and ashlar, flint. At present forming the entrance gate-house and forecourt to St. Radegund's Farmhouse, the remains represent the cloister of the Premonstratensian Abbey of St. Radegund. Tower of 3 storeys, the topmost ruinous, of coursed flint, decorated with triangular ashlar blocks. Two large offset buttresses with central C16 red brick semi-circular arch, and 4 chamfered lights on first floor. Interior: tripartite plan, the side chambers with chamfered and moulded arches and springer for vaulting. Originally the tower of the church, set in re-entrant angle of nave and north transept. The earlier ashlar west wall of the north transept on left return of tower with responds of chapel and north chancel aisle arcade. Connecting wall from tower south to Farmhouse, with 4 openings, 2 blocked, with moulded and chamfered arches, originally shafted, with round capitals and water holding bases. These were the doorways to the chapter house, portions of which, and the adjoining south chapels of the church survive to the east of the connecting wall (cloister east wall). To south and east of the tower further portions of masonry survive, in part to full height, cut through especially c.1590, representing remains of nave of church with moulded doorway to tower and with the remains of cellarer's building and guesthouse, forming west range of cloister, with the north gable end of this range surviving full height, with lancets, and range of deep rere-arches to ground floor lancets along long wall. The standing buildings are surrounded by extensive earthworks, a scheduled Ancient Monument, with isolated blocks of masonry, the most extensive of which is a length of walling, about 30 metres north-east of the tower/gatehouse, about 6 feet high, running about 10 metres north- east, and returned about 30 metres south-east. (See B.O.E. Kent II 1983, 439-440; see also W. St. John Hope, Arch. Cant., 14, 1882). For history of Abbey see main entry on St. Radegund's Abbey Farmhouse.

Listing NGR: TR2764342124

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 439-440
'Archaeologia Cantiana' in Archaeologia Cantiana, (1882)

National Grid Reference: TR 27537 41993

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1070023 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 06:26:47.

End of official listing