CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1070024

Date first listed: 22-Aug-1962

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1070024 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Mar-2019 at 05:59:23.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Dover (District Authority)

Parish: Hougham Without

National Grid Reference: TR 27827 39972

Details

TR 23 NE HOUGHAM CHURCH LANE (north side) 6/71 Church of St. 22.8.62 Lawrence GV I Parish church. C12 in origin, C13 north aisle, restored 1866 by J. Messenger. Flint, with some rubble stone, with plain tiled roof, the north aisle roof slated. Chancel, nave with north aisle, south chapel, western tower and south porch. Two stage tower, the ground floor north, east and south walls original, the west front and first floor of 1866. Tiled broach spire. Lancets throughout, largely Cl9, except to north chancel wall and north nave aisles the east windows of latter with moulded hood surrounds on string course. Restored south porch with chamfered doorway and blocked north doorway. Interior: C12 tower arch, semi-circular, plain double rebated on barely moulded abaci. Nave with 2 bay arcade to north aisle, with double chamfered arches on round pier and responds with simple octagonal capitals and bases. Plain semi- circular headed arch to south chapel, with mutilated arched recess to east. No chancel arch, but rood door to upper north wall; chancel stepped in. Roof of 4 crude octagonal crown posts. South chapel with lean-to roof, and containing vestry. North aisle with north lancets with undercut and moulded hooded heads, with sprig-based springers. Triple east window with attached columns, double keeled moulded surrounds and hood mould. Original roof of 3 king posts. Chancel with blocked 2 bay south arcade, C12, to lost south chapel, with lipped arches on round pier and responds with scalloped capitals. C19 east triple lancet, and trussed rafter roof. Fittings: largely C19 but with small mutilated piscina in nave; restored square, arcaded font bowl on C19 5 stem base. Old floor surfaces of marble slabs and pantiles survive on large areas. Monuments: set in floor by south tower respond, a medieval tomb chest. with Calvary cross, Bottonee. Will Hanington, d.1607 hanging wall monument of partially painted marble and alabaster. Double arcade with Will and Wife facing each other over prayer desk, behind him 4 of his 5 sons, behind her 3 daughters and 2 shrouded girls ("as soone blasted as blowne"). Base with winged cherubs left and right and below inscription apron. Three coats of arms over, the centre with ribband enrichment. Peter Nepieu.Gent: d.1658, monument erected 1735 and by Sir Henry Cheere. Standing wall monument. Base with acanthus moulded plinth bearing inscription flanked by recessed panels with skulls crossed bones and ribbons. Moulded base to gadrooned casket on lion's feet, and over a portrait bust of Peter dressed in C17 dress, Obelisk shaped background festooned and with scalloped cartouche. Coat of Arms of Queen Anne in north aisle. (See B.O.E. Kent II, 1983, p.357 and p.107).

Listing NGR: TR2793040029

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 178600

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 357 107

End of official listing