CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1070033

Date first listed: 22-Aug-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1070033 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 11:11:37.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Dover (District Authority)

Parish: St. Margaret's At Cliffe

National Grid Reference: TR 34875 44801

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 34 SW ST MARGARETS AT CLIFFE WESTCLIFFE

5/78 Church of 22.8.66 St. Peter

GV II*

Parish church. C12 and C14 tower. Chancel restored 1873. Flint and rubble, irregularly coursed, with plain tiled roof. Chancel, nave and south tower. Two storey tower, also used as porch, with priests room over porch, with trefoiled single lights. Single light slightly pointed windows throughout, some restored exterior jambs. Restored C15 west window, replacing blocked triple lancet composition. Poor C19 east window (Early English style). Interior: blocked north door and semi- circular recess in south nave wall. All window reveals original. Nave roof of 4 crown posts. Large double chamfered chancel arch on round responds, with worn crocketed capitals. Stepped in chancel with restored crown post roof. Fittings: C19 in chancel and font. C18 box pews, with Wallets Court pew opposite pulpit clearly distinguished and raised and fielded panelled hexagonal pulpit. Movable benches in centre aisle, C17 Royal Arms painting on nave north wall. (See BOE Kent II 1983, 491; see also church guide, 1938 + 1982).

Listing NGR: TR3502844826

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 178517

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 491

End of official listing