CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1070060
Date first listed:
22-Aug-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1070060.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 19:04:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Dover (District Authority)
Parish:
Ringwould with Kingsdown
National Grid Reference:
TR 35974 48303

Details

TR 34 NE RINGWOULD CHURCH LANE (south side) 3/38 Church of 22.8.66 St. Nicholas GV I

Parish church. C12; C14 alterations, west tower 1628. Restored late C19. Flint coursed,in north aisle with rubble, with red brick dressings. Plain tiled roof. Chancel, nave with north aisle and south porch and western tower. The west tower sits within the nave, the lower west wall the C12 west wall of nave, the upper 2 stages of the tower C17 additions, with relieving arches of brick. Angle buttresses, 5 times offset, string courses and parapet all with red brick dressing. South-eastern turret with lead cupola and ornate wrought iron weather vane. Simple chamfered western doorway with round headed lancet over, otherwise segmentally headed brick windows with pedimented cornices. Early C20 clockface on west face. Nave and aisle with C19 fenestration, except 1 round headed lancet to west in both C14 south porch. Plain round headed south doorway. Bricked in north doorway. Chancel with 3 lancets to north and south, the westernmost trecusped. C19 triple lancet east window. Interior: tower placed within nave, rendered, with plinth and plat band and double offset buttresses, with moulded shields either side of tall, double rebated and round headed arch. Panelled doors set within main arch, and double rebated and pointed arched openings either side of tower. North arcade of 4 bays on crude octagonal piers with moulded capitals and double chamfered arches, all C14, but the responds are square and plain and C12. Triple lancet C19 north aisle window with double arcaded inner screen. C19 king post roof in nave, C14 crown post roof in north aisle. C19 chamfered and ovolo moulded chancel arch on attached round piers. Trussed rafter roof and poor east window in chancel. C19 round headed reveals to central lancets north and south. Fittings: heavily restored sedilia, only the lower half C13, although the moulded hood of the easternmost reproduces the ancient trecusped pattern. All other fittings C19, excluding parish chest, dated G.P. 1634 W.K. and Royal Arms of George IV. Monuments: group of 4 wall tablets in chancel: Richard Dauling, d.1679. Black inscription plaque with enriched scrolled sides and cornice on bracketed base with cherub's head. Reverend Richard Monins Eaton, d. 1770, white marble with fluted pilasters supporting cornice, 2 burning lamps (in artificial stone) and painted arms cartouche; base with cherub's head. Mrs Ann Tubb, d.1777. Oval inscription plaque on coloured marble field with black obelisk over and large draped urn. Signed: Lancashire fecit Bath. (Francis Lancashire + Son). John Monins, d.1806. Black obelisk with draped urn on elliptically arched base. Signed J. Bacon jnr. Re-set on wooden wall plaque in tower is a brass to John Upton, d.1530, and mutilated lady, with 5 children and inscriptions. Assigned to local Canterbury school. East window glass 1863, in C13 style. (See B.O.E., Kent II, 1983, 433-4).

Listing NGR: TR3590548404

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
178477
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 433-4

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/14173/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Keeble. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].