ST MARGARET'S OLD LIGHTHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1070066

Date first listed: 22-Aug-1966

Statutory Address: ST MARGARET'S OLD LIGHTHOUSE, THE FRONT

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST MARGARET'S OLD LIGHTHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1070066 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 08:52:31.

Location

Statutory Address: ST MARGARET'S OLD LIGHTHOUSE, THE FRONT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Dover (District Authority)

Parish: St. Margaret's At Cliffe

National Grid Reference: TR 36255 43384

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 34 SE ST MARGARET'S AT CLIFFE THE FRONT (south Foreland) 6/57 St. Margaret's 22.8.66 Old Lighthouse

GV II

Lighthouse. Built 1795, rebuilt 1843. Red brick rendered with Roman cement, with cast iron lantern. Octagonal plan. Two storeys, with machicolated battlements. Lantern with latticed windows. Two four centred arched doorways, with entrance porch missing, one leading to basement, that to right to main stair, with niche between. Interior: staircase winds inside main chamber, with cast iron floors, the walls originally panelled and surviving in part. Cast iron lantern, the light originally floated on a bed of mercury to maintain balance. Glazing lost. The single storey outbuilding described in previous survey has fallen victim to the receding cliffline. Sold by Trinity House with the establishment of the Goodwin Lightship.

Listing NGR: TR3591143305

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 178496

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing