THE GABRIEL RICHARDS ALMSHOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1070263

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Dec-1986

Statutory Address: THE GABRIEL RICHARDS ALMSHOUSES, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GABRIEL RICHARDS ALMSHOUSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1070263 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 07:54:32.

Location

Statutory Address: THE GABRIEL RICHARDS ALMSHOUSES, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Dover (District Authority)

Parish: Goodnestone

National Grid Reference: TR 25663 54761

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GOODNESTONE THE STREET TR 25 SE (east side) 3/108 The Gabriel Richards Almshouses (formerly listed 13.10.52 as Almshouses) GV II* Almshouses. Mid C17, extended C18. Red brick and plain tiled roof. The C18 wing of 2 storeys and hipped roof with stacks to rear left and to rear right. Two leaded 3 light wooden casements on each floor, with segmental heads on ground floor, and central segmentally headed boarded door. C17 range: entrance front of 2 storeys on plinth with plat band and moulded dogtooth eaves cornice. Two large stacks project at left and at right, each with 2 star-shaped moulded flues. Irregular fenestration of wooden casements with 2 light rendered brick mullioned window over door to centre left, the door with flat hood on brackets with side screens. More rendered mullioned windows, irregularly placed on rear elevation. Shaped gable to left, with giant pilasters to left and right, with full entablature in brick supporting broken segmental pediment with a pediment thrusting upwards through it, possibly copying the pattern at Broome Park (1635-8). The charity was endowed by Gabriel Richards in his will dated 1671, but the building was already standing. The charity was for 4 aged decayed gentlemen or gentlewomen, born in Kent, and with preference to his own relations. (See B.O.E. Kent II 1983, 335-6; see also Hasted, IX, 247; see also Gabriel Richard's monument in Church of the Holy Cross, Goodnestone.)

Listing NGR: TR2541554411

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 177969

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hasted, E, History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent, (1797), 247
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 335-6

End of official listing